new friends


8 December, 2013: In September, I attended instrument rental night for the elementary schools within our district. I was excited to welcome all of the new instrumentalists into the family. Although I felt zapped from the first few weeks in a new position, I got there early to check out the scene.
 

There were piles of brand new instruments stacked against the far wall of the high school cafeteria. Clarinets, saxophones, flutes, trombones, snare drums, bell kits, cellos, violins, violas. Shiny new method books. Wire stands. 

I was transported back to my initial band experience, as a sixth grade musician in Ohio. I can remember standing in our school cafeteria in the fall of 1996, filling a saxophone with breath for the very first time. 
I'm still in love with THAT sound. 

It was beautiful to watch tiny hands fidgeting open silver clasps to reveal new friends. One little boy kissed his trumpet. Another girl jumped up and down, hugging her cello. How quickly we can forget these moments! The next day I asked our high school band to remember forever. 

As I was walking across the parking lot to my car I wondered where they'd be in five years. I thought about the stories they'd accumulate between now and then: the times of joy, the times of despair, the desire to quit, the desire to improve, the rehearsals, the concerts, the accidents- the story of each musician and their instrument. 

I hope that nothing ever scars that initial love of music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment