Maine is the foot injury capital of New England

9 July, 2012: I have hurt myself once again. Last summer at this time I was in a motorcycle wreck that fractured my scapula. This year I sustained a fracture in my foot and had to go home after my first day on the Appalachian Trail.
I wasn't bit by a wolf(e)

Let's go back.

In February, I made the most difficult decision of my life to leave Kodiak, Alaska. I did this for a few specific reasons:

1) to hike the Appalachian Trail while I am still young

2) to know whether or not I was to settle indefinitely

3) to pry myself entirely out of my comfort zone in order to force-facilitate a different kind of growth than I had been experiencing. 
(avoid doing this if you are truly content. sometimes it's hard to know.)

#1 is on hold as I wait for my foot to heal, so I can't comment too much on that. But I feel as though I've grown in leaps and bounds with regards to #2 and #3. I had to leave in order to realize this growth. Settlement is not resignation and there are healthier ways to encourage self growth than to completely uproot. 

This has been a dreadful summer. (Although I just watched a raccoon dangle from a beam to our bird feeder about 10 feet away from where I am currently sitting).


It was destined to be. Leaving Kodiak was hard. I was shocked at how many folks came to say "goodbye" at the ferry dock. I was reminded once again at how incredibly special Kodiak is, even as I was leaving it. I seriously contemplated jumping off of the side of the ferry and swimming back to shore as we sailed away. It hasn't grown easier with time and distance. In addition to the painful departure, we experienced significant car trouble on our way home, went a week without power during a record breaking heatwave and now my foot looks like an eggplant. But...

This summer is not over. 

If you're reading this Summer, let me tell you something. You cannot beat me. Sure you may be hot and sunny, but I am quick like a fox in the night! 

The sun is but a morning star! 



No comments:

Post a Comment