talked to an OLD student

I love teaching music. Without a doubt, this is my calling. 

This career ages nicely, like a cheese or something (?) As we age, we stumble upon former students and catch a glimpse into our collective past. Although I have only been teaching for five years, this is still a very special experience. Our memories, like our relationships run deeper than most. As a music teacher, I am blessed to spend years upon years with students. I am so proud of so many. I can't imagine what it's like to be 60 years old with thousands of former students out and about in the world, making differences. I imagine at that time I'll be sitting in a rocking chair and convulsing in joy for the rest of my days. 

The other thing that is very significant to me is the concept of family within the classroom/field. As musicians (and people), I believe we are apart of a large, rambunctious family. There's a collective joy and suffering that we experience through music. These things expand to our everyday lives, making our music family a very important asset in dealing with everyday triumphs and toils. 

 Our first objective as music teachers/musicians should be to grab the hands of many and welcome them into this family. The way I see it, everyone is already a member anyways. Music is for everyone and within everyone, yes? As a teacher, my job is to lay a giant welcome home mat at my classroom door. The experience of walking into a classroom should feel like plopping into a warm bed at the end of a long day. What a career! Going to "work" is like coming home. 

i've had this mat forever. it follows me wherever i go.

No comments:

Post a Comment